The Yorkies' Regular Features

Starting 11       The Word       The Matchup       After 90       The South Stand Report

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lucy, you have some essplainin' to dooo! Response to Tom Anselmi

----- Awww, Tom's sad. Poor Tom. Here's a fifty to wipe your eyes.

For those of you who consider us at the Yorkies the be-all-and-end-all of TFC related media (once I stop laughing, I'll continue writing...) *ahem*, here, the Toronto Star gave us this gem of an article and apology filled with quotes from Tom Anselmi.

So here's my take on it...


TFC is to announce Wednesday that Anselmi is going to hold a series of town-hall meetings with supporter groups.

This is a great PR move. You get enough of the blind supporters, you know - those who get behind the team no matter how far supporters get gouged, to show up and these town halls become giant love-ins. I'm sure our invitations are in the mail as we speak...


Scarf-waving supporters, angry with the lack of improvement on the field and dramatic increases of over 30 per cent in cost and four more games in their season-ticket packages for next season, have been voicing their displeasure with chants and protests during home games.

OK, so enough people have made noise. Good. I didn't think MLSE paid attention. Earlier this week, I read an article about Bundesliga supporters going on strike due to rising ticket costs. I'm thinking Anselmi read the same article.

However, this is what got my ire:


The club is also removing a pair of CONCACAF Champions League matches from obligatory purchase in season tickets, a move that will cut the total cost of the 2011 package, he said.

[sarcasm] Yes. There it is. The real reason. We're upset over the Champions League matches. If I've said it once, I'll say it again, I am upset at how my seasons tickets include only games involving Toronto FC, right? [/sarcasm]

The article failed to mention a single WORD about the MLS Cup ticket included in the package. The ticket that is responsible for much of our outrage. I want all the tickets to games involving Toronto FC. I don't want to be gouged extra for it later *cough*Real Madrid*cough*. And I sure as hell do not want a ticket for a game that not only excludes TFC, but involves teams I couldn't give a damn about. Hell, 5 minutes on any message board would've brought this question to either Ansemi's or the author's attention.

I actually believe Mr. Anselmi when he states the following:


At Maple Leaf Sports, we've been accused at length about suits like me interfering with the team. (This is) proof positive, we don't interfere.

Why wouldn't this be true? After the sacking of talented players for unknowns and the protection and playing of liabilities, anyone who has watched the game with any discerning eye would've given Mo the hair-dryer treatment. Cronin's gone but White is still here? Gerba dismissed but Hscovanviscs has his contract seen through? Wynne disappears but Garcia still has employment? There's no WAY the suits are involved... especially since the league picks up their tab. The suits are damn-near comatose!

*deep breath in*

*deep breath out*

So am I crazy?

6 comments:

  1. Nope!!!

    Some one should tell Tom that it's too little too late!!!!

    Removing the two CCL games brings down the price but, does not affect the ticket price increase!!!

    Tom is trying to pull the wool over our eyes with this bullshit news story!!!!

    He's trying to blame other's but, he forgets that he was the one who hired Mo!!! and if it took him 4 years to figure out that Mo was screwing the team up then Tom should have left with Mo and Preki!!!!!

    Hey Tom Anselmi this TFC Fan says GO F#%K your self!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not!

    Isn't journalism supposed to be unbiased? The Star article most possibly couldn't be any more biased. Spin isn't journalism.

    To add insult to injury, ML$E thinks we are stupid to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not crazy. I have yet to read the Star article. I have not recovered from the email. Anselmi needs to be fired. The suits don't get involved? Too busy counting money? There needs to be a MLSE soccer head honcho. Someone who will intervene and guide the TFC Manager not just smile and say "whatever MO".

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you are not crazy but this will not end peacefully. MLSE is not capable of responding to its consumer base.

    I for one wish to pour oil on wavy waters. In my own way, I discovered new football in Toronto. Some of the most enjoyable moments this year were not at BMO but at Lamport. CSL has better games than the crap I was forced to endure with this TFC.

    No season renewals for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anon 9:10

    Some of the best footie I've watched in the last 10 years have come from the CSL. Even when watching as a neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last Friday I received my invoice for 2011 season. Admittedly I am in the semi-posh seats, section 122. The total for 4 seats came to $6,750, say $1650 per person. Compare this with the south or north end, where the season goes for around $500. This, my friends, is what MLSE fears losing - the "corporate" seats. They don't really give a hoot about fans in North or South, this is a marginal revenue stream - the core revenue is the West Side. I for one, will under no circumstances be renewing to see this pig re-dressed - I encourage other "corporates" to do the same.

    ReplyDelete